Saturday 17 September 2016

Just popped to the plot for a quick half hour....

I popped to the plot today with the intention of doing a bit of sowing, and leaving when I'd had enough, but 5 hours later....!

The tomatoes are still ripening - these are some lovely flavorita - will 100% be growing these again next year, they are so sweet!

These ring o fire chillies are also starting to ripen - just hope theres enough sunshine left to turn the rest red.


2  weeks ago I tied my courgettes up a support, spread seaweed around and fed with tomato feed - and guess what? They've all started flowering again, yey!


Out of 8 pumpkin plants, only 1 survived, and on this one grew 3 pumpkins, and only 2 made it! So well done to these two survivors.  Not quite orange yet, but last year I found putting them in the greenhouse for a few weeks soon turned them orange - so fingers crossed.

And heres my tamarillo tree (tree tomato), we had these when we were in New Zealand - they're fruit that my husbands aunty sliced up, sprinkled sugar on and left in the fridge over night, and we had them for breakfast and very tasty they were too.  So I bought one to see if they'll grow in Cornwall, its now doubled in size since a bought it, but it does have a very pungent smell... I'm going to keep it in the greenhouse over winter and my use bubble wrap or fleece as extra protection as I'm not sure how hardy they are (although they survive snow fall in New Zealand!)

I also planted a few things in modules and left on shelving in the greenhouse - spring onions, cavolo nero, peas (for pea shoots), broccoli, dwarf French beans (I've been told there is time for a winter crop - not convinced but giving it a go), chard - rainbow mix and mixed lettuce saladbowl.

And if that wasn't enough for one day - I emptied 2 compost bins and spread the lovely compost over a couple of beds with some horse manure, then covered over the winter.  Compost bins resited for the next year.  Pulled up what was left of the leeks, and tidied the shed!  Very pleased with my productive day.




No comments:

Post a Comment